Jan 11 2020 0 Comments
Mindfulness. Awareness. Cognizance.
Each year, over 1 billion plastic bottles of body wash enter the garbage and recycling stream.
You can do something about it.
Body wash can be replaced with bar soap, eliminating the need for a disposable plastic bottle (and the non-recyclable pump that comes with it). Consider these points:
- Typical bar soap has virtually no plastic packaging.
- Bar soap is biodegradable (unlike many synthetic detergent body washes).
- It cleans equally well (or better).
- It's generally made with natural, food-grade ingredients.
- Buying handcrafted soap supports local small businesses.
- Handcrafted soap comes in an extremely wide variety of scents, colors, and formulations.
- 1-2 bars of soap replace a typical bottle of body wash.
9 Billion Tons
The approximate amount of plastic in the world today. 75% of that is waste in landfills, landscapes, the ocean, and waterways.
448 Million Tons
The amount of plastic consumed globally every year. Less than 10% ever sees the inside of a recycling bin.
10 Million Tons
The estimated amount of plastic winds up in our oceans each year. Hundreds of ocean species have been adversely affected by microplastics, fishing lines, soda rings, and floating debris. It can take 10-20 years for a plastic bag to decompose, but it can take 450 years for a plastic bottle to decompose.
The number of people in the United States using body wash in disposable bottles. As of 2017, the number is expected to increase to 250 million by 2020.
1.4 Billion Bottles
The number of disposable body wash bottles used every year. That number based on an average of 6 bottles of body wash per year, not including shampoo or conditioner bottles.
Find out more about the benefits of bar soap.
Thanks to the Handcrafted Soap & Cosmetics Guild for the content of this blog.